8/4/09

Drumming - UGH!!

I started working on the drums for the new Moroghor album. God, I am fricken' AWFUL!

My edrum kit is not exactly a professional setup. Two years ago, when I first got into edrums, I went out and bought TWO of those cheapo ION Audio drumkits at TARGET. Yes, Target.

I spent a few days looking at drum setups online, and basically customized the two kits into one decent setup. The only big problem was with the pedals that came with the kit. Terrible.

So first I built my own triggers from Radio Shack door buzzer parts and used a few actual kick drum pedals, but these were very inconsistent. Recently I upgraded to a new, and inexpensive alternative.

ROCK BAND replacement pedals. That's right. I went to the local Gamestop store and bought one of those $25 pedals that you can buy when you break the pedal that comes with Rock Band. Guess what. It works great. And you can buy two and link them together for double bass action. Which I haven't done yet, cause I'm still unemployed and shouldn't be spending my unemployment compensation on toys and such.

So anyway, back to the original topic. Now armed with an adequate setup, I can play and record decent drums. But I still basically suck, so yes, I will be doing quite a bit of Quantization and correction. And I most definitely will be programming any of the fast, double-bass work.

I admit it way up ahead folks. I ain't Neil Peart or Dave Lombardo. More like an even slower Phil Rudd. Luckily, playing drums for Doom/Drone Metal is not too complicated. So stand back while I have at it. Hopefully I'll be done soon.

2 comments:

redneckerz said...

sounds like you made a good deal with those rock band pedals. who whould ever knew that such cheap things work out so great?

anyways, im looking forward to the album - im not really a drone metal guy, but i like doom metal quite a bit, so i hope it turns out great.

one piece of advice: i hope that the overall volume is improved - the songs from Burn Without Me and especially this drone project are really too low. just an advice.

all the best, redneckerz.

Dimaension X said...

Overall volume continues to be an issue, unfortunately. If I push the volume too much, it digitally distorts.

Hopefully it will be a little bit better.