6/24/14

TWO new Dimaension X albums almost ready

Yep, I've been a busy little bee lately, and have almost completed the two new Dimaension X albums I mentioned in my posts below.  I'll let y'all know when they're posted and ready for download.  These are the first releases of all new music for a very long time, so I'm a bit psyched to get them out there.

In other news, ... I've been making new music again with my neighbor and former bandmate Clint (now-the bassist-with-Blue Steel) Mitchell.  He works his day-job with Jason Paulino, the singer from The Great Escape (a very good Journey Tribute band - www.thegreatescapemusic.com), and brought him down to the Deadside Manor Studio to write some original tunes.  Which means I have to "up my game" if I want to work with this guy.  He is an extremely good singer.  Watch the videos of The Great Escape on YouTube from one of their gigs at Mohegan Sun (yeah, Mohegan Sun!).  Now close your eyes, and you'd swear you were at a Journey concert.


We helped him add some additional vocals and a guitar solo to an existing song, and then started work on another song which only had chord changes and lyrics.  So Clint and I added some drums and some basic guitar strumming.  Then I went at it on Saturday morning fixing the guitar strums, added bass, more guitars, a solo, and edited the drums a bit.


Clint just has to replace my scratch bass tracks with his own fretless bass, and Jason has to do the final vocals.  I think it's going to turn out pretty good.


Jason's style is VERY DIFFERENT from my usual heavy rock and metal.  Much lighter and melodic, and downright catchy.  I could really imagine some of his songs showing up on some of the more pop-oriented radio stations.  So this has been a real challenge for me.  I don't consider myself just a rock and metal-head.  I'd really like to consider myself a well-rounded musician and producer, which means being able to tackle any style.


It's going to be interesting to see where this goes.  



No comments: